Pests probably aren’t the first thing that come to mind when making New Year’s resolutions. But pest-proofing a home – and ensuring that it’s ready for winter can save a lot of money, and stress, over the course of the coming year.
That’s why MGK, in partnership with the National Pest Management Association, recommends adding pest-proofing the home to the top of that list of resolutions.
Many homeowners don’t think about infestations until one has taken hold. And there are a few easy steps that can be taken to properly secure their home from pests all year.
Tips & Tricks for Pest-proofing a Home
The following activities will help families prepare their home for a pest-free new year:
- Store holiday decorations properly. Opt for plastic containers with tight-fitting lids to keep pests from infesting decor while in storage.
- Keep the kitchen clean. Wipe down counters after cooking to clear them of crumbs and food debris. Dispose of garbage regularly and store food in airtight containers to prevent pest entry.
- Seal gaps in windows and doors. Install door sweeps and seal any gaps on exterior doors. Seal any cracks and crevices on the outside of the home, including areas where utilities and pipes enter.
- Properly store firewood. Keep it at least 20 feet away from the home and five feet off of the ground to avoid attracting pests.
- Manicure your yard. Remove any dead bushes, branches and fallen leaves from the yard that could act as shelter for ants, ticks and other pests.
- Eliminate moisture build-up. Repair leaking faucets or pipes and divert water away from the house with functioning downspouts and gutters to eliminate moisture, as this can attract pests.
Ever wonder how insects survive the cold? Learn more about common pests and their winter habits.